As you know, the concept of "organic" utilizes natural systems and rejects the use of synthetic chemicals. In terms of fertilizers, compost is the most ideal way to ensure a healthy, nutritious soil for healthy, nutritious plants for a healthy, nutritious, chemical-free self. (I will do a compost post soon!)
However, Michelle and Mike's compost did not receive the attention it deserved due to the demands of the newly established B&B. But not to worry! Neptune's Harvest Organic Fertilizer has saved the day. or, the entire season.
The fertilizer needs to be diluted - 1 oz per gallon of water. But look at this handy gadget that attaches to the hose and has a measurement dial for diluting! Nifty!I was in charge of spraying it on the beds today, and now my hands smell like I've been handling dead fish...mmm! Oh wait, could that be because the stuff is made from, according to the bottle, "fresh North Atlantic fish"? It contains a fish/seaweed mixture that, aside from smelling completely horrid, increases plant strength and resistence to unfavorable environmental conditions, like frosts or not enough moisture (which are two concerns in the Catskills). Like I said earlier, compost is ideal, but in terms of fertilizer, look for one labeled "organic" and you'll be sure to avoid harmful synthetic chemicals.
Apologies, this is the only documentation I have of the fertilizer, because when I finished spraying, I made a beeline to the shower.
Other, more sustainable ways to increase the health of soil is to plan ahead what you're going to plant in each bed - and rotate your crops every season. There are also certain crops that enhance soil quality. For instance, if you have a newly established, rocky, sandy, shallow bed, beans are good seeds to plant because they add nitrogen to the soil. Gardening is largely experimental...ya gotta learn as ya go!
No comments:
Post a Comment