Going to digress from gardening for a bit, and tell a wonderful tale of raw food and the human body. Meet Zoë, the newest addition to Turquoise Barn. The past year of continuous illness and the recent diagnosis of Diabetes prompted Zoë to quit her publishing job in London and seek a change in her lifestyle. So here she is - keeping me company, helping out with chores, and learning about the beauty of living foods via Michelle.
The second night she was here, Michelle showed her (us) this movie - "Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days," which illustrates the unhealthy lifestyles of 6 Americans, all with diabetes, and all taking a cocktail of medication at every meal. The film documents their month-long stay at a raw foods resort in Arizona, where they were provided with three meals a day, buffet-style, with all the gourmet raw food you could imagine. It was amazing to see the transformation - within THREE days, 5 of them stopped taking their insulin, and within two weeks, all of them were off all of their medication. Amazing. But it's a movie, right? Simple solutions like ....dare I say changing your diet, wouldn't miraculously heal an incurable illness like Type 1 Diabetes in real life, would it?
below: Michelle's raw pizza straight out of the dehydrator.
olives... tomatoes... zucchini... squash... broccoli... garlic... capers... pesto
atop a buckwheat, flax seed, sun dried tomato, and fresh herb crust
With that said, I don't believe that a strictly raw diet is ideal. Our bodies have evolved to digest cooked foods, and some food only releases its beneficial nutrients when heated. But living with Michelle has put me at an advantage: I get to indulge in her gourmet raw food creations, I feel more in touch with my body's reaction to food, and I get to choose what I take away from the experience. And I think I'll keep my oven and stove...and dare I saw microwave. But I'll also be toting home her green smoothie recipes and a newfound love for chia seeds, nutritional yeast, and dehydrated kale chips.
So, here's a recipe for raw brownies, which I've delighted in on three different occasions during the two weeks I've been here. They're easier, quicker, and healthier than regular brownies, and might I add...more delicious. Topped with a raspberry/blueberry sauce and accompanied by a cold class of homemade almond milk.
1 cup nuts (we used half almonds, half walnuts)
1 cup dates, chopped
1/4 cup cacao powder (or half cacao powder, half carob powder)
dash of vanilla
dash of salt
*Put all ingredients in the food processor and pulse away! The result may be a bit crumbly, depending on what kind of nuts you use. Put in a small pan and sort of smash with a spatula as you pour it in. Refrigerate for an hour or so to let it settle. Or, be impatient and eat immediately. If you want to go allllll out, which I recommend, prepare the sauce as well - just blueberries, raspberries (or your favorite kind of berries), and a bit of honey in the food processor or blender. Huzzah!
No comments:
Post a Comment