Just a few hours earlier, this bed was a blanket of green and the beets were practically invisible. Took me the better part of the day to weed it. (After the beets lie parsnip and rutabaga.)
Beets are notoriously finicky germinators, so out of all of the seeds that Karin planted in May, this is how many came up:

Let's see if a second round can produce better results. Alison approximates the amount of seeds she will plant for each of the four varieties. She surveys the bed, does some crazy math to determine how many seeds she'll need, counts and weighs the seeds, and soaks them while I weed.

She makes holes, again with her fancy math skills, and pokes the soil with a wooden stick so that I know where to plant the seeds. Two seeds in each hole, sometimes three.

Too bad I will not be around to see the results!
No comments:
Post a Comment