Lizzie Beale

Independent Study
Summer 2010

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Goodbye, New York!

With mixed emotions about my departure - sad to leave but excited for the new quest - it's time to say goodbye to the state that has been my home for the past month. I found so much happiness, simplicity, and wisdom during my short stay on the land trust. It was strangely nostalgic, parting with my bitty house and the constant cackling of chickens. But most of all, I found it hard to drive away from the comforting sense of home I felt while living with Karl and Alison. Seeing Karin walk up the driveway every morning and sharing unexpected meditations over a bed of weeds. The tranquility of being surrounded by trees instead of power lines. Not to mention everything I learned about growing food. I will undoubtedly miss life on the commune! Will return one day.
Scooby the SCOBY and I take some last minute farewell pictures before we hit the open road.
We then find it necessary to all get in my rainbow sparkle hula hoop (made from PVC piping) and do some hoopin' to delay my departure.

The morning I left, Alison gifted me with a goody bag of sorts, but better than any party favor I've ever received. Complete with a quart of kombucha and a kombucha-making "kit," a tub of shea butter (because I'm tired of putting synthetic lotion on my skin!), two bars of homemade goats milk soap, calendula ointment for my cracked hands, and a bottle of 2008 blueberry wine.
Thank you, Karl, Alison, Karin, Jason, and everyone else at the land trust for being so gracious and beautiful, for welcoming me into your lives and imparting so much of your wisdom. I will see you again!

Onward to Vermont.

1 comment:

  1. lizzie, you look so beautiful! I've really enjoyed reading your blog. I hope Vermont is wonderful. mees yew. also, is Scooby the Scoby going to live with us this upcoming year? I can only hope...

    ReplyDelete