Lizzie Beale

Independent Study
Summer 2010

Friday, June 18, 2010

Vegetarian goes to the goat farm (RIP Pipp)

Tuesday goes down in the record book as the first time in two and a half years that I’ve eaten meat. More specifically, goat. More specifically, Pipp the goat. Had I arrived at Frosty Morning Farm a week earlier, I would have been lucky enough to meet Pipp. I was, however, graced with a package labeled “PIPP’S RUMP” and I feel as if I know him now, after Tuesday night’s Pipp curry.

So I filled my bowl with veggies and 2 pieces of meat – one of which I ended up putting in Karl’s bowl. Hey, I gave it a fair chance, and even ate a whole bowl full of veggies that were cooked in it. The meat was kind of tough, and I must say, lived up to Karin’s lovely description of goat meat: “it tastes like they smell.” She said this most affectionately, as she loves goats, their milk, and their meat. I mean, it wasn’t bad. I just….well, didn’t really want to swallow it. I did though, and you’ll be glad to hear I’m still alive and well. I couldn’t live on a goat farm without at least trying it. That’s what this summer is about anyway – spontaneity, trying new things, exploring different lifestyles….even if it means temporarily converting into a carnivore. And at least I can cross “owner of goat farm” off of my list of possible careers, right?

The reason I don’t eat meat is primarily due to the horrors of the industry…not necessarily the cuteness of the furry animals. So I accept and even endorse the way that the Frosts raise their own animals for consumption – no cruelty, injected hormones, or tightly packed cages. Just a way to eat in the winter, when the farm is covered in snow and no veggies remain. Having goats, rabbits, pigs, turkeys, ducks, and chickens allow them to store food efficiently. So thank you, Karl and Alison, for letting me try Pipp and introducing me to new methods of sustainability.

2 comments:

  1. How do they store the rest of Pipp during the summer? Do they soups and stews and can it? Do they smoke it or salt cure it?

    Also, was Pip born on the farm? Do they have a sustainable number of reproducing goats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a big freezer in the "farmhouse," which is just the communal building of the land trust. So the rest of Pipp is divided into packages, labeled appropriately, and frozen until someone decides they want to have a word with Pipp.

    He was indeed born on the farm. All of their goats are. As for the total number, I didn't count, but I would say ballpark - 8 to 10. Karl made a comment that currently, there are too many babies than he would like. But in order to get milk and make cheese, ya need babies. And I'm not sure, but I think the babies are considered the best meat.

    ReplyDelete